Dale M. Schoettler Scholarship
The Dale M. Schoettler Scholarship for Visually Impaired Students was established in 1991 for San Francisco State and San Jose State University students to receive a quality education in pursuit of a professional career in business, humanities, arts, and the sciences.
After Mr. Schoettler’s death in 2001, the California State University received a $4.8 million bequest from his estate to expand the existing financial aid program for visually impaired students to all 23 CSU campuses. Mr. Schoettler, who himself was blind, was a businessman from Mountain View, California.
Cal State Fullerton is a leading campus of the CSU, serving as an intellectual and cultural center for Southern California and driver of workforce and economic development. They are an emerging national model for supporting student success through innovative high-impact educational and co-curricular experiences, including faculty-student collaborative research.
Eligibility for The Dale M. Schoettler Scholarship
- Applicants must currently have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.8 on a 4.0 scale and must maintain a minimum GPA of 2.8 on a 4.0 scale during the academic year in which the award is received.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in 6.1 units or more as a CSU undergraduate or graduate student in any major field and must remain enrolled in 6.1 units during the academic year in which the award is received.
- Applicants must have a vision disability and provide verification from a medical health professional, which includes the best corrected visual acuity notations. (Please note that the disability must be such that it impedes the educational process and necessitates accommodations, support services, or programs.
- Students who have previously been nominated and/or awarded the Schoettler scholarship may continue to apply each year provided they continue to meet the qualifications.
REQUIREMENTS AND APPLICATIONS
Completed applications must include the following:
- A completed Scholarship Applicant Information form
- A Confirmation of Visual Disability form, completed by a medical health professional
- A brief Personal Statement by the student describing his or her background, personal achievements, challenges encountered, educational pursuits, and goals and aspirations for the future
- An Application Checklist (to be completed by the DPRC and Financial Aid offices)
Do not leave any line blank on the Applicant Information Form. If there is no information to provide, “N/A” should be used. The Confirmation of Visual Disability, which includes the best corrected visual acuity notations, also needs to be completed by your medical health professional. Each item submitted with the application packet (i.e., “Personal Statement”) should be clearly labeled.
Completed applications must be submitted to the Disability Programs and Resource Center per the instructions on the Scholarship Fact Sheet and Application Checklist.
Applications are accepted on a year-round basis, however, the review process has begun and timely submission of application materials is advised.
No fax submissions are accepted.
Benefits for The Dale M. Schoettler Scholarship
- Thirty-nine (43) scholarships of $10,000 each will be awarded