George W Gray International Scholarship is an opportunity to study chemistry in a top class university. The University of Hull has created a commemorative scholarship to encourage more international students to study chemistry and, hopefully, follow in Professor Gray’s footsteps.
Professor George W Gray patented the liquid crystal molecule 5CB that made LCDs and flat screens viable. His work is arguably one of the most significant scientific breakthroughs of the modern era.
The University of Hull was founded in 1927 – originally as University College Hull. The foundation stone was laid the following year by the Duke of York (later King George VI, of The King’s Speech fame) and we opened for business with 39 students and 14 ‘one-man’ departments. We’ve come a long way since then. The University now has more than 16,000 students and around 2,500 employees, including more than 1,000 academic staff.
Eligibility for George W Gray International Scholarship
To be considered for a George W Gray International Scholarship you will need to:
- Be an international student holding an offer to study Chemistry, joining in year 1 (Level 4) or entering directly into year 2 (Level 5) or year 3 (Level 6)
- Have achieved IELTS 6.5, with a minimum of 5.5 in each skill or equivalent
- Have High School Chemistry equivalent to UK A-level grade B
- Meet the eligibility criteria
Meeting the eligibility criteria and completing an application to study with us does not guarantee that you will receive an award.
The scholarship will not be paid during the placement year of the MChem Chemistry with Industrial Experience when fees are heavily discounted.
How to apply
- There is no need to submit a separate application for the scholarship.
- All International offer holders will automatically be considered for the scholarship as part of the application process for Chemistry.
- Applications for Chemistry courses starting in September 2023 are now open. You can apply via UCAS or directly to the University of Hull through one of
our agents in your country.
- Details of how to apply via UCAS can be found on the how to apply page. Details of our agents near you can be found on the country pages.
- To find out more or if you have questions about how to apply, contact [email protected].
Benefits of George W Gray International Scholarship
The scholarship is worth £9,000 a year tuition fee reduction for every year of study