Global Excellence Scholarship is a merit based award offered by the University of Minnesota to international undergraduate students interested in pursuing and obtaining a degree in the university.
Students selected for the GES awards are among the best in their high school class and show a record of very strong academic preparation. All international freshmen and transfer students who are admitted to the University of Minnesota Twin Cities are considered for a Global Excellence Scholarship (GES).
Global Excellence Scholarships are only awarded to students on F-1 visas. Students must maintain F-1 status to continue to receive their GES awards.
The University of Minnesota is ranked as a “best value” by USA Today, the Princeton Review, and Kiplinger’s Personal Finance. They a have competitive tuition rates, outstanding academic programs, and a focus on student success.
Eligibility for Global Excellence Scholarship
Candidates are expected to meet the following eligibility conditions;
- Applicants must be international students.
- Students admitted into undergraduate degree program.
- The award is available for undergraduate courses offered at the University.
- Based on academic merit
- Students enrolling full time in the Honors program in the semester for which the scholarship is awarded.
- Exceptional personal success skills (e.g., emotional maturity, motivation, perseverance, etc.)
- A high school transcript and/or GSE results (if your transcript is not in English, also require a certified translation).
- Applicants must have a High school certificate or equivalent.
- Candidates must be highly motivated, responsible, and able to work independently in a structured manner and as good interpersonal and communication skill.
- Applicants must hold an offer for a full-time program at University of Minnesota, USA
- Application process based on merit and evidence of leadership.
- English Language Requirement: Applicants are required to provide evidence of meeting the University of Minnesota’s minimum English language proficiency requirements.
How to Apply
- There is no separate scholarship application required; students are considered based on an overall assessment of their on-time admission application.
- All international freshmen and transfer students who complete their applications for admission by the deadlines are automatically considered for a Global Excellence Scholarship.
- Please view the Frequently Asked Questions on the International Student and Scholar Services website.
- For more details, visit University of Minnesota website
Benefits of Global Excellence Scholarship
- For the 2022–23 academic year, international freshmen can receive scholarships of $25,000, $15,000, or $10,000 per year for up to four years.
- Transfer students may receive $10,000 per year for up to three years when entering the University in the Fall semester. Transfer students entering in the Spring semester will be considered for scholarships on a funds-available basis.