The Smith Family Bursary will be awarded to one undergraduate student who have been offered and accepted a place to study at RGU and can demonstrate financial need, academic merit, motivation and ambition.
RGU’s widening participation initiative aims to extend access to learning and enable talented individuals from under-represented groups to achieve their ambitions through higher education whatever their circumstances.
They are dedicated to providing an accessible student environment for all students, including those who have been looked after at home, in residential care, foster care, kinship care or estranged.
Robert Gordon University, commonly referred to as RGU, is a public university in the city of Aberdeen, Scotland. It became a university in 1992, and originated from an educational institution founded in the 18th century by Robert Gordon, a prosperous Aberdeen merchant, and various institutions which provided adult education and technical education in the 19th and early 20th centuries.
Eligibility for The Smith Family Bursary
To be eligible for consideration for this bursary, students must:
- be a Scottish domiciled, classed as a home fees student, or classed as an RUK student.
- be enrolled full time in the first year of your chosen undergraduate degree program at RGU.
- meet the bursary specific eligibility criteria
- have not already obtained a first degree.
Students must also meet at least one of the additional criteria:
- Reside in a postcode area which is regarded by the Scottish Government as being within the 20% (Quintile 1) most deprived regions of the country as categorized by Scottish Index of Multiple Deprivation (SIMD).
- Reside in a low income household (in receipt of Educational Maintenance Allowance or eligible to claim SAAS bursary, i.e., household income below £34,000)
- Have spent time as a Looked After Child, or Looked After and Accommodated Child, be that at home, in residential, foster or kinship care.
- Are currently caring, unpaid, for a friend or family member who due to illness, disability, a mental health problem or addiction cannot cope without your support.
- Have completed an ‘Access To’ program.
How to Apply for The Smith Family Bursary
- Students do not need to apply for the bursary – application is by invitation only.
- Eligible applicants will receive an email with further direction.
- Applicants for the bursary must have met the entry requirements of their offer from Robert Gordon University and have formally accepted the offer.
- Full details of the selection criteria are available with the application form.
- ACCESS RGU SCHOLARSHIPS